Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Phoenix, oh Phoenix

I'm debating getting showered and going shopping or heading straight back into bed. Phoenix is great. I made it here safe and sound--a bit more turbulence than usual, and about an hour behind schedule, but I was just glad to get here!! The scenery is a cool change from lush Iowa...it's definitely brown here. But hey, how often do you get to do your work while laying by the pool as a lizard scurries around next to you? I got a little too much sun yesterday, so the pool is out for today. It's off to Tucson tonight!

When I got in on Saturday, I got like the last car in the Enterprise lot. It was a really ugly car. I get excited about rental cars. I think it's fun to drive different cars that don't actually belong to you--it's like a really long test drive. Am I the only one who feels this way?? Anyway, I was very depressed when they told me that was the one. I looked at Mr. Enterprise in disbelief. He said, well, I do have a Ford F150 you could drive if you want that instead? Yeah right. As if this girl is going to be gallivanting around Phoenix in a big ole' Ford? So I took the really ugly Kia. It was like a midget mini-van. Thankfully, the alignment was off or something because the darned thing shook like crazy going down the interstate. I took it back the next morning and graciously accepted a brand new Saturn Aura--it's MUCH better.

So, My Sister's Keeper is incredibly sad. But I thought it was a good book (you can borrow it when I get home, Bethy!). I loved the writing. I went to Barnes and Noble on Sunday after I finished it to by another Picoult book. I mean, I suppose it makes sense to read the most depressing books possible in a place where the sun is always shining! Thus, I purchased Nineteen Minutes--anyone? Anyone?? I'm not quite half way done with it...but I'm not liking it quite as much as I liked the other one...at least not yet!

On another note--the Hills is on. Spencer Pratt. Ewe. Enough said.

11 comments:

E said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
E said...

Have you ever read Charms for the Easy Life by Kaye Gibbons? It is about the life and times of a family as seen through only the women, three witchy generations of them. I think you just might love this book....

Sara Jane said...

Your post proves that we are kindered spirits!

I know it's so hard to imagine...but I used to work for Enterprise, and they frequently run out of cars.

My company car is an Aura, and I love it. (I mean, I love it for a free company car.)

I loved My Sister's Keeper, and I just finished 19 Minutes. I didn't love it as much as I wanted to, it's just so sad. :)

Hope you're enjoying AZ!

Dreams and Designs said...

I don't even watch that show and I know I hate that guy.

I also used to work for Enterprise. A) hated it b) they DID always run out of cars C) hated it!

amanda said...

Rental cars...so fun! I
agree. Hollla.

My Sisters Keeper...very
sadddd. But like I said
before, hated the ending.

I actually like Nineteen
Minuted more. I loved the
beginning of it...and then
just the writing throughout.
Never once got bored. But
my heart was pulled apart
during the entire book. Ack.
(Again...didn't love the ending.)
But Jodi is quite captivating.

Keep enjoying your trip
in AZ! Wahooo.

Libby said...

spencer pratt. ewe. is what i think every time he comes on the screen;-P

i have a similar love for rental cars & luckily with my job i get to indulge at least once a month. my favorite so far? the hyundai sonata. their basic (rental car) package has XM which is a must for traveling. least favorite? jeeps. no cruise control. terrible.

Bayjb said...

Glad to hear you arrived safely! And yes Spencer is an insane douchebag.

Anonymous said...

Don't knock Nineteen Minutes until you've finished it.....it's very powerful, and SO good! Spring for the hardcover of Change of Heart next. That's my absolute fav!

laurwilk said...

Were you drunk blog commenting last night?

Spencer is outrageous. Absolutely nuts.

I quit reading JP after My Sister's Keeper. Not a big fan.

Also, our siblings had a pasta supper together last night. Just so you know, I'm making sure they're behaving while you're in AZ.

jamie said...

E-I've just decided that book is next on the list!

SJ- I know, we would SO be friends if we knew each other in real life! :) Hello, free company cars, yes please!

Beth-there's no need to watch when you already know he's a d-bag!

Amanda-I agree-she is pretty captivating--her writing is very unique, and although extremely depressing, I like her stuff!

Libby-I need to remember the comment about XM--I so could have used it last night during a ridiculously long drive!

bayjb- douchebag is one of my favorite words! :)

Aut-You know I can't afford hard covers! Ha!

Lauren- No, was just jacked up on Mountain Dew from driving from Tucson to Phoenix late at night! Pasta? Well, look at how cute they all are!

Auburn Kat said...

I agree about Spencer as I think most of America does!

I've read two of Jodi's books, My Sister's Keeper and Plain Truth. Plain Truth was extremely good, I think it was even better than My Sister's Keeper...