Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Arrested.

Howdy from the Windy City! It wasn't really all that windy here today, in fact, it was quite nice--sunny, and warm! I know you were all concerned, so I wanted to let you know that I did get a new suitcase--one with normal wheels. Lets just hope that it lasts this time! :)


As I drove into Chicago today (in a really ugly PT Cruiser--I'm sorry if any of you drive one, but it is SO not the car for me) I was faced with some serious serious road construction. It was intense. When I mistook an exit for a toll lane, I was off the interstate in a flash. No biggie, right? Just drive right back on? WRONG! Due to all this construction, I was forced to drive myself all over some random suburb of Chicago to try to get back onto the interstate. It was a tense 15 minutes, to say the least.


Anyway, I finally got in to the city and found my hotel. It was like the second time my Mapquest directions haven't effed me and left me scrambling for the right roads. I need a GPS. Here's the thing, though, my friend Tiff told me to be aware of the toll situation. Thus, I had plenty of cash on me. I went to my event tonight, and realized that you seriously have a toll like every two minutes. I think that mapquest and the city of Chicago have teamed up to make some serious money. Mapquest strings you through the most ridiculous amount of tolls and zig zags you through this city in an attempt to get you where you need to go via the longest route possible and make the most money. I bet Mapquest gets like 10% for effing with poor people like me who don't know the best way around the city. How else do you explain the 157 tolls I went through today?

Here's the other problem--I told you I had plenty of cash. And I did....I did NOT have plenty of change. Once you get in here, the tolls don't have people working them and you are to use exact change. Yeah, um, this girl doesn't carry much change. So, I don't really know where I was but I just chucked the last of my change at the machine, and drove through. I am fairly sure I have skipped out on a few tolls today. I didn't have any money! So, I will probably be arrested by the IL DOT by the time the week is up. (Not really, I can pay for the ones I missed on line--with a credit card--not with dimes.)

This girl's gotta get some sleep. It's gonna be an early morning and a ton of driving tomorrow.

8 comments:

Dreams and Designs said...

That sucks man!!! And I've been up since 4:30 bee-otch...

Sorry I didn't call you back... daddy was working so I was kid duty alone all night!

Auburn Kat said...

Tolls are such a pain in the butt!!! Thankfully Buffalo took out a couple of the toll booths so I don't have to pay to drive in to work anymore!

Anonymous said...

Tolls in Chicago suck. go to www.illinoistollway.com and you can go ahead and pay those lovely things. Honestly, I'd wait till you were done in Chicago this week to do it...you know you will collect more:)

Bayjb said...

I hate paying tolls. The Ipass is amazing. You were in my city today! I'm glad we had nice weather for you!

E said...

Ah a scofflaw after my own heart. They will just photograph your license plate and send you or the rental car company a ticket in the mail...(I can report that the rental car company cheerfully sends these things along so it will get to you don't you worry)

I have three words for you...Shaw's Crab House...I think it is on Hubbard or maybe lower Hubbard. They take reservations and they always run late so plan on a wait and the best food in the city...

Katie said...

That totally sucks, I can't stand toll roads, what a pain!! Hope it gets better for ya!

Anonymous said...

I got snared in the Illinois toll maze three years ago on my way home from Madison, Wisconsin and I know I stiffed a few of the un-attended booths. I expected the police to follow me all the way to St. Louis or to meet my plane the next time I went to Chicago, but thanks to whatever traffic gods there may be, I still haven't been called on to pay for my sins!

amanda said...

Ugh! I feel ya!
Sorry my lil'
pumpkin face!

I have often broken
the law and gone through
EZPass without paying.
Ooopsss.