Monday, June 30, 2008

Date #2

Well, friends. I've got news. Date #2 happened. *big sigh*

It was a picturesque date. He invited me to his house to hang out and grill some food. Sounded lovely. It was a fantastic Iowa summer day where the trees stand still and the sky is the brightest blue you've ever seen. It was a perfect idea. There was only one problem: there was nothing for us to talk about. I'm not sure why, because I can talk. I don't even usually have to try to talk. It's something that comes naturally to me. I don't know what happened. For three hours yesterday I sat at his house...drinking...eating...listening to music. It was actually quite a nice setting--out on the porch, listening to some Death Cab on the iPod, having a couple of drinks--and truly the only thing missing was conversation.

How could we have been all talked out already? I mean, HONESTLY! WE HAD SPENT ONLY TWO HOURS TOGETHER LAST WEEK AND NOW WE GOT TOGETHER AND HAD ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO SPEAK ABOUT?? HOW DOES THAT HAPPEN?? Nothing. I mean, we got through it all--hobbies, hangouts, parents, siblings, nieces, nephews, vacations, books, movies, music, food--everything. Done.

And, initially, when I went over there, the idea was that we would grill out and watch a movie or something (aka: make out *don't you judge me!*). Anyway, I'm in the middle of eating this fantastic kabob when out of his mouth comes the clincher of the afternoon:

boy: So, what are your plans for the rest of the evening?
me: *okay! looks like this one is going nowhere* "actually, big plans--going to see some friends and hang out--play some yard games, a typical Sunday evening." *thinking: "yeah, right--hello laundry and dishes....dear self, you're four cats, two frozen pizzas and a pack of menthol Virginia Slims away from living a life of solitude--please don't do yourself in."
boy:oh, cool.
me: Yeah, what about you? What are you going to do?
boy: oh, well, you know, my buddy called and he's having people over...blah blah...heard: I'm really not that into you, please drink your drink, eat your food and get the hell out of my house so I can hang out with my friends...

Lets just say that it was a very long few hours. In fact, it was one of the most uncomfortable dates I've ever been on. Typically, there's something to talk about, and usually after people have a drink or so, they start to losen up and can talk about virtually anything. Not so much, my friends. I was on a date with a mute.

And it's so confusing--because if that was the case, if he truly wasn't that into me, why follow up with a text talking about how much fun you had and wanting to hang out again sometime? I don't get it!!!!!!!!!!!! Have I told you how much I LOVE dating?

It's quite a shame, too, because he's flippin' cute.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK. So he's not the 'one'. Keep looking, you'll find the right guy. In the meantime, enjoy each day. GB :)

laurwilk said...

Ha! Ha! I love it. Don't be sad, Jaim. There are many fish in the sea!

Be happy, enjoy singledom. Kiss lots of boys for me. While I'm completely happy with Porter, I do sometimes miss kissing boys. Haha. Random ones. Strange ones -- with mohawks and missing teeth. Maybe even a mute who only communicates via poems.

Get it, girl!

Sara Jane said...

Boo...I hate it when I want there to be more there and it just doesn't.

Don't worry, you're only playing in a small sand box, and life's a beach! There will be another...and I'm sure he'll be equally as cute and have half a brain!

laurwilk said...

P.S. His name wasn't right. Unless he was a mechanic/fix-it guy. But we've been down that road once before and don't need to do it again. So, his name wasn't right.

Kara said...

He is a dick! plain and simple.

brandy said...

I don't understand men either. We should start a support group. Sorry it didn't go so well.

laurwilk said...

Girls who don't blog on Tuesday don't deserve second dates!

Especially if they don't answer my calls on Tuesday, too.

(Kidding, we know he's a loser.)

Anonymous said...

Lmao, he was probably afraid to break the ice and get personal, for fear of possibly offending you. It sounds like he figured things would just gravitate that way. You'll find the guy that things feel a lot more natural with one day.

Anonymous said...

I liked that post~lol~ i laughed when you have what he says and what you "heard".

Sounded like a perfect day, I'm in Iowa also so it was probably same here.