Wednesday, July 2, 2008

The Big Apple

Big things happened yesterday people! Big things! The best of the big things--me, spending an obscene amount of money on a plane ticket. From here to NYC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am leaving in August to spend several fun filled days with my all time best friend in the city where she now lives!

I have never been to NYC but I am already convinced I will love it. I think NYC and I, we're kindred spirits--soulmates, just waiting for fate to bring us together. And now, the time has come... Plus, it will be great to see my bestie after a really long stretch of time without setting eyes on her cute little face! We've been besties since pom-poms. Seriously.

Then we went through middle school---we were both pretty awkward. We grew out of it eventually (at least I think we did).

And high school. Oh, for the love of high school. I hated high school. Lauren loved it. It was weird. Mostly we drove around at night, looking for something to do, smoking cigarettes we had pawned off of someone who was old enough to buy them. Typically, we'd end up with a car full of people and if we weren't en route to go drinkin' at a party, we were likely in a random cemetery or old abandoned building scaring the crap out of ourselves. We were country kids, through and through!

We had separate groups of friends for a while...but we always remained best friends. We vacationed together, had graduation parties together, basically lived together on the weekends--and during the week, really! She was the one that was there for me when our guy friends attacked me and put bbq sauce in my hair, and I was the one that I was there for her when Michael Salas broke her heart. (You know it's true, Lauren.)

We went to college 12 hours away from each other. Took a really great roadtrip to Texas over spring break our sophomore year which was complete with ridiculous camp sites, townie bars that thought we were old enough to drink, Kenny Chesney for 20 hours straight, Shirley singing karaoke to Britney Spears, learning to two step, scorpions, running out of gas on a lonesome Texas road...it's actually a miracle we lived through that trip. Otherwise we just waited for Christmas and summer breaks to get back in touch. We could go months without talking, but every single time we got back in touch it was exactly as it used to be. Just like nothing ever changed. (**This is a picture of us over Christmas break a couple of years ago, I think. I'm on the right, and Lauren is on the left! Another one of our good friends, Megan, is in the middle!**)
So, here's to the impending trip to NYC and reuniting two besties!
Also: expect a post or two from the lake this weekend. Awkward family vacation part deux commences in less than 24 hours. Yikes!!!!!!!

9 comments:

laurwilk said...

A. Horrible picture, but whatever.
B. Michael (Miguel) Salas did not break my heart. I had my eyes on Seth by the time we broke up!
C. I can't wait for you to get here, it is going to be very fun!
D. I can't wait to hear about this trip to the lake, but I am a bit jealous that you are going to be on a lake and I'm stuck in a dirty city.
E. That post made me really miss high school! I did love it. It was great. You would've loved it too if you would have lied to Roger Johnson instead of telling the truth! How's all that integrity working out for you? Ha.

laurwilk said...

You know what picture you SHOULD have put up there? One of our graduation pictures! I haven't seen those in forever and I want to see what we looked like then. We were hot with our matching hair. Find one of those pictures and swap 'em out!

Sara Jane said...

I can't wait to hear all about it!

Anonymous said...

It sounds like you're going to have an amazing time - enjoy!

Anonymous said...

NYC? Your coming over to my stomping grounds now! Well, actually I just stay in the Bronx, Manhattan and Queens for the most part. You can get semi-acquainted with NY by playing "Grand Theft Auto 4".

Those sound like quite the adventures, especially dealing with Scorpions. I wouldn't know how to go about doing it, but fortunately you survived.

Anonymous said...

You're going to have an incredible, memorable time in New York, even if you never want to go back.

Everyone has to experience it at least once.

E said...

Can't wait for the vacation posts.
You are gonna love NYC. I wonder if it will tempt you to move. I feel a move in your future dearie....
I spend lots of time in the city and can offer many tips. if you want retaurants or shopping or or or. I have it all.
You and your pal are going to have a ball. Splurge on dinner at Pastis in the meatpacking district. Steak frittes with soft red table wine and lots and lots of cute boys!

Jamie Lovely said...

This sounds like it will be so fun!

Anonymous said...

What a fun trip!! I know you will have a great time! GB :)