Monday, November 24, 2008

I'm a writing amateur...

So occasionally, I dabble in a little bit of writing. Sometimes it's hopeful, sometimes it's even on the verge of happy, there is a little bit of comedy, and a nice chunk of Plath-esque writing in there. I don't often share much of it, but for lack of anything better to blog about today, I have decided to share the following piece with all of you. I wrote it about 8 months ago, then let it sit on my laptop for about six months, and have been tinkering around with it every so often now. I'm not sure I'm done with it, but I think it's ready enough to share...my only disclaimer--this one falls into the Plath-esque category! Enjoy...


Eleven Days.
The cool breeze of a fall evening danced through the champagne colored curtains lightly hanging across the open window--the glass, rippled with age, projected brilliant shapes across the Van Gogh print hanging on the white wall as the street light poured the only illumination in to the room. She looked at the shapes, twice distorted due to the tears nestled comfortably in her bright green eyes.


She continued to think about the events of the past eleven days. She sighed. And then she cracked a bottle of her favorite merlot; as the glass shook in her hand, she lifted it to her lips to take a drink. The warmth of the liquid soothed her throat, scratchy from the efforts of long nights of crying. She felt that sip line her soul, and once again, she was comforted…She sat there, wrapped beneath her shall, and tapped what was left of her bitten fingernails against the rim of glass.

She wondered how it had come to this. She's young--barely 23, a college graduate who works a mind-numbing job, and in the process pays her bills. She spends much of her time in the company of great friends, and occasionally a nice man comes into her life, only before slipping right back out, too soon. On paper, it didn't appear as though she really had anything to be depressed about--so why was she so blue? Hereditary--that’s what the doctors said--a disease that has plagued the women in her family for generations--obviously, it was more severe in her case.

She lightly ran her index finger along the uneven ridges of the eleven day old red-brown flaking scab which was evolving into a pink fleshy scar that would be forever tattooed along her fragile wrist… something like those Chinese symbols or stars that the other girls tattooed on themselves. Hers wasn’t nearly as trendy, but it was just as permanent.

After “they” agreed that she was stable, they handed her the bottle of pills --“take three pills once daily for depression.” She now twirled the bottle in her hand and listened to the melodic fall of each of the pills as they made their way around the inside surface of that plastic orange bottle.

She opened the child resistant cap and spilled them into the palm of her hand, one by one until the entire contents sat there in a small pile. Blue pills. Little blue pills. They were all she needed to accomplish what she had originally intended... At least she had a good drink to wash them down with…


I'll post something happier for you all to read at a later date. In response to my sister's question--no, no need to worry, this is FICTION! :)

11 comments:

laurwilk said...

You have a knack for writing, Jaim. Very descriptive.

I kind of want her to be happy, though!

Anonymous said...

I like it. Very nice. I think you described it best your self....very much like Plath. Well written says this English teacher.

Auburn Kat said...

I liked it too. Definitely sad though!

Kara said...

wow - that was awesome. loved it...just loved it.

it's not about being happy or sad. that has nothing to do with it.

my favorite part and maybe my favorite sound - "listened to the melodic fall of each of the pills as they made their way around the inside surface of that plastic orange bottle".

laurwilk said...

I am bored in the airport and hoped you posted another blog. Sad. I want to bbm people but apparently you have to have pins? Wtf!

And I told you I didn't want to comment first! I got comment judged!

Kara said...

It's not a matter of judging. I just think you like many other people have no clue about dealing with depression at all.

Anonymous said...

brilliant, J! :)

i'm glad to hear most of it may be fiction, but i can relate ALL TOO WELL. our minds are disturbingly complex & when things should be well, they aren't, & that's SO hard to understand.

i wanted to recommend an awesome book for you:
"The New Feminine Brain: How Women Can Develop Their Inner Strengths, Genius, and Intuition"

it REALLY helped ME understand...at least a little better & shed some much needed LIGHT.

keep up the writing... :)

Mandy said...

I agree, you have a great knack for writing.

Danielle said...

I wouldn't call you an amateur at all. :) And I think what Kara said is right, sometimes it has nothing to do with being happy or sad. Writing is about trying to figure out what it all means.

Anonymous said...

You are a great writer. I really enjoy your fiction as well as your blog. Please know however, after reading this I am adding you to my prayer list. A little prayer never hurt anybody. Take care. GB :)

Anonymous said...

Soo...we should totally talk about writing sometime soon! I love writing, and have been trying to get started/inspired! Haha, I would love to chat with someone else who likes to write! Let me know!