Saturday, March 1, 2008

You can take the boy out of the country...

Let me set the scene for you--Last night, I went to Omaha to spend time with some friends. There were 6 of us in total. The plan was to grab dinner and get some drinks afterwards. We go to this pretty nice seafood restaurant and there's a 40 minute wait. No problem, JW and I grab a couple drinks, and wait for EA and JM to use the restroom. JW and I are standing there by the case containing all the fish, trying to figure out what we wanted to eat, and chatting each other up about crabs, and SH and CK show up.

Finally, EA and JM come back--he has a Becks, and she has a Corona...and these 2 gigantic chunks of lime on a coaster. That's what the bartender gave her.

Clearly there was an issue. There was no way that JM was going to get that lime into that beer bottle. What to do, what to do? It went a little something like this:

JM: I don't think there is any way this lime is going to fit in this bottle.

EA: Oh, I'll figure out a way. *he starts thinking*

Lightbulb.

EA rustles in his pocket.

I say: Please tell me you're not busting out your pocket knife?

EA: In fact, Jamie, I am.

So, there, in the middle of this lovely little restaurant, surrounded by people, my good friend Eric whips out the pocket knife and sets the coaster on top of the lovely display case and starts hacking away at JM's lime as the five of us (and probably a few other patrons) look on.

JM's Corona did get its lime.

You can take the boy out of the country, but you can't take the country out of the boy...

3 comments:

E said...

This guy is a keeper. He would clean off your car in the mornings, and get your earing out of the garbage disposal....

Anonymous said...

That "Eric" sounds like a good guy, I don't care what that person above me says. I just want you to know that the same "country" i was taken out of is the same "country" you are from. It was great seeing you this weekend and i hope to see you more soon, we had a great time.

laurwilk said...

Hahaha oooh Eric. Mr. Blue Eyes. See, once again I don't have the freedom to say things because people read blogs! And I wasn't even going to say something mean!