Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Bleh.

All I wanted to do after a very stressful day today was sit in the hot tub. The hot tub to me is an experience like getting my hair cut or colored, getting a pedicure, or massage--it's a place I go to relax. I don't want you to talk to me. I don't want small talk. No thank you. I want to lay my head back, close my eyes, and sit there alone, in my thoughts--again, alone.

Tonight, after TS and I got to the hotel, I decided I would head down and take a dip. I was chatting on the phone with B until I got too sweaty to safely hold the phone over it's steamy death trap. About 3 minutes before she and I got off the phone, this guy came and got in the tub, too. Guy is probably my age--a year or two older maybe.

I hang up with B, lay my head back, close my eyes, and drift off into a nice relaxing.... "so, what are you doing in town?"

OH NO YOU DIDN'T! *Rolls her eyes while they're still closed.* I very obviously jerk my head off the towel to make sure guy knows I'm not into this. I answer politely, and lean my head back.

"Oh, that's cool. How long have you been in town?"

*thinks, 'are you KIDDING me?'* answers politely--with eyes still closed.

"Great, where are you from?"

*Answers politely.*

"Oh, NO way! Me too. I live there with my wife."

*Oh, Great--why don't you call her?*--I nod.

"What are you doing tonight?"

*catching up on work.

"Oh, I was thinking about going out--me and my buddies usually go drinkin' or hit up a strip bar."

*charming, dude. Charming.*

"You're a pretty good looking girl--do you have a boyfriend?"

*Bitchy look paired with a blunt NO.* Please please please quit talking, guy.

He doesn't stop. I say, "Well, I'm getting warm, I think I'm heading out."

He says, "Well, if you get bored later, you should stop by my room or give me a call--I'm in room xyz..."

*gasps* Guy happens to be 3 doors down meaning I have to sprint to my room, find TS, tell him what happened, deadbolt the door and stay there ALL night so he doesn't realize where I'm at.

Traveling alone can be creepy enough. When you run into Guy in the hot tub, it's even worse. The thing is--I'm not sure where married guy randomly staying in same hotel as me thinks he has the right to 1: tell me I'm good looking, and 2: invite me to hang out with him 3: bring up strip clubs in a conversation with a perfect stranger. Please, dude. Bleh. Creeped out.

6 comments:

Dreams and Designs said...

TS will keep you safe!

Kara said...

Ahhhh...The adventures of Travel. Ask Deb sometime about the counselor who showed up at her hotel. And I can tell you about the counselor I knew who was convicted of sexual assualt. Now that is creepy.

Anonymous said...

Jeez, sorry! I thought for sure you were into me. How was I spose to know you weren't into men.
- Creepy Hottub Guy

E said...

Act like you can't hear them. They will think you are snobby...So what?
If they keep speaking say "I beg your pardon" Answer vaguely, "oh sorry lost in thought here"
Ignore them. Imagine a wall of privacy around you and look imperious when they try to intrude.
I do lots of business travel and have perfected the down my nose over my glasses imperious look so well that i once accidentally shunned my own uncle in a strange city, and he backed away thinking maybe he had the wrong person....

Anonymous said...

Words of Wisdom: Once when I was traveling for business a guy knocked on my door and told me he was with hotel security, and said he needed to come in. I said NO! Be careful out there!

laurwilk said...

Dude. I'm responding here b/c I picked this blog randomly.

You are not on gchat; you are a liar.

I'm going swim suit shopping AFTER WORK TODAY and could have used your input.

Maybe less goth but still a bit goth. You act like it's a bad thing!