Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Rationally Irrational

I make irrational decisions. It's not something that surprises anyone--ever.

I cut my hair.
I buy shoes.

I dye my hair black on accident.

I order the medium concrete mixer with extra Heath bar at Culvers instead of the small.

I say yes to a 4th beer when I should have stopped at 3.

I spend entirely too much money buying clothes--especially when Autumn and my mom are around.

I wash my car before it storms.
I go out to lunch even when I know it's a bad idea--that's one thing I cannot refuse.
But the ONE thing I struggle with MOST: TARGET. I cannot leave this store without spending money on things I do not need. Things like file folders, desk organizers, bedding, living room furniture, bookshelves, shoes, t-shirts, purses, books, candy, anything from the dollar spot...you know, anything.

Target is my holy place--the place I go to feel calm, worthy, good. So when I have two hours between appointments, as I did today, where did I go? Target. To make irrational purchases (that I later returned) and bask in all the glory that this store is. It smells good, looks good, makes me feel good, and all in all, is good.

And in the grand scheme of things, if you make the purchase and then realize it was irrational and return it, how irrational was it if you made sense of it in the end? I feel like that's why they streamlined the return policy--just give them the receipt, they scan it, and that money is right back on your debit card. They did that for people like me, so I could go and take in the Targettish glory and not break the bank. For that, I feel I need to say thank you Target Corporation, thank you.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't make you spend the money...I just encourage it, and you are always glad that you did. Remember when you bought that jacket without realizing you had the pants....it was a great purchase, and now you have the complete suit. If you come here this weekend...BEWARE. I haven't shopped for a while;)

Dreams and Designs said...

Your quirky wierdness never ceases to suprise me. While I may have coincidentally returned one item to Target today, I still think you are on the crazy side of crazy.

Kara said...

I don't think this is the blog you intended to write Turkelton!

E said...

But the file folders with the colored desk shelving make you fantasize about how organized you wll be. Loved this post...I love Target too. Doesn't everyone?

Anonymous said...

oh, yes. Target. The mecca of unless spending. Well, unless you need windex with that picture holding shelf.

Sara Jane said...

I love Target, but one of my friends who is registered there had such a time returning gifts, she pulled her entire registry. She said that they wouldn't let her return more than 2 items over $20 a year...and they're registered there! Crazy...anyway...I'm looking forward to seeing what you would do "Consequence Free"! Cheers!

laurwilk said...

You can buy things for me at Target and I will pay you what they cost in the middle of nowhere Iowa. It's a win-win situation for both of us. I can never buy those little goodies in this ridiculously expensive city and there isn't a Target close to me!