Friday, February 15, 2008

What's on yours?!

I love John Mayer. I love his old stuff, I love his new stuff, and, especially, I like this stuff:



The song is called Say, and these are the lyrics:
Take out of your wasted honor
Every little past frustration
Take all of your so called problems
Better put them in quotations
Say what you need to say
Walkin like a one man army
Fightin with the shadows in your head
Living out the same old moment
Knowing you’d be better off instead
If you could only
Say what you need to say
Have no fear for giving in
Have no fear for getting older
You better know that in the end its better to say to much
Than to never to say what you need to say again
Even if your hands are shaking
And your faith is broken
Even as the eyes are closing
Do it with a heart wide open
Why?
Say what you need to say

I like it. No, I love it. I'm not going to go into some babbling blog about the message of the song (though I do appreciate it). Actually, it wasn't until I was at the gym this morning and saw the video for the song that I realized it is from the movie "The Bucket List" which I've never seen but heard is quite good.

This got me thinking, and as I was dying on the treadmill, my inner monologue was something like this: "self, if right here in the 15th minute of this run, you keel over, what are the things on your bucket list (for those of you unfamiliar with the movie, it's a list of things you want to do before you "kick the bucket") that you never would have done??

Well, here are the top ten (the real list is several pages long! :)) from MY Bucket List:

10) Learn to cook. Like really cook. If it isn't soup, frozen veggies, or a chicken breast on the George Foreman, I can't cook it. And I'm not kidding.
9) Move to one of the northern coasts
8) Visit the good old NYC--I've wanted to go there since I was just a youngin'
7) Learn another language--fluently. Not just the half assed Spanish I sortof know...
6) Run a marathon (or a half marathon...)
5) Learn how to play an instrument--the piano or the violin or the cello.
4) Write a novel. A good novel. A novel people would actually curl up with and drink tea to, and read and appreciate and talk about with their friends, and love.
3) Travel back to Asia--I'd love to revisit Thailand. Along with that, I think traveling to every continent can also go with one. To be honest, I want to travel pretty much any and everywhere. Backpack type traveling--4 tshirts and a few pairs of pants, makeup-less, maintenence free, dive into the local cuisine and clothing type traveling.
2) Live in Great Britain for a while--I was in London for a semester in school, but I really want to go back. Besides, I like to use the words bloody, brilliant, lovely, shoddy, and wanker--I think people would appreciate my lingo more if I was living amongst the Brits.
1) 3 letters : PhD--I don't know in what, or where, or when, but this is number 1.

What's on yours?

5 comments:

Dreams and Designs said...

I like. Why do like all of these things involve moving away?

Hopeful said...

You know, we have a lot of things in common that I never realized!!! About half of what you have down is on MY Bucket List too! I'll run that marathon with you if you want a partner. AND do the whole backpacking thing... but I want to do it before I'm 30! =) By the way, I love reading your blog.

Tiff Hummel said...

perhaps we can have you as a northern coast regional rep?! ;P

let's celebrate BIG when we both finally achieve those 3 letters, Ph.D...when we're 80. :)

Anonymous said...

My list: enjoy each day, laugh often, look at the bright side, treasure family and friends, retire while the gettin's good, tolerate my big dog for my husband's sake, GB

laurwilk said...

Cross #8 off of the list -- you are coming to NYC!