Saturday, April 26, 2008

Text You, Later

I was supposed to go on a date last night. I had been set up by a coworker’s mother. A nice boy, she said, that everyone in her office loved. He’s six feet tall, has a full head of dark hair, and he’s 25. I decided I didn’t have anything to lose so I agreed. Ahh nice boys and dating--exciting, right!?

He texted me. He asked me out by text.

We were going to meet at 8 at a bar downtown to have a couple of drinks.

He called on Wednesday night to confirm the details.

Yesterday, I was caught up at work with a late appointment. I was going to leave at 4:30, and while still waiting around 5:30, I was sitting talking with my boss and another woman that works in the office. As we sat there discussing the details of said date, clothing choices, was I going to be crunched for time, etc. I started freaking out a little bit. My appointment wouldn’t be back for another few minutes and then I had to meet with them, drive the half hour back home, find the outfit I prepared mentally, fix my face, get back in the car, drive the 15 minutes downtown--it was going to be crunched. Bleh!!!!!!! Girls, you know how this is.

It was then I noticed the screen on my phone lit up. I reached for it, and while boss and coworker were chatting, I had to laugh. I read the words on the screen. And then I read them again, out loud.

“I don’t think I am going to make it tonight. Sorry. I have been seeing this girl from work and it’s starting to get serious. Sorry for the late notice.”

*Crickets* Followed by ridiculous hysterical laughter and a long conversation about how technology is changing the face of the world and the way people date. So what did I do? I did what any gal in my situtation would do--hit forward and sent the message to all the girlfriends I had spent the last couple days talking about this with!

I was ditched by text.

BY TEXT!

Are you KIDDING ME!?!?!

And, then I have to ask, how serious could it have gotten in the 48 hours between confirming the plans and cancelling them? And do you really wait until 5:30 the night OF to cancel?
As I sat pondering my current situation, I couldn’t help but wonder--is it worse to be asked out over text, or is it worse to be ditched by text?

Ah, 23 and single-- it's fun.

4 comments:

Sara Jane said...

That blows! If he asked you out by text, he would have sucked anyway!

Better to have spent your time with friends, rather than waste it on some silly boy.

Dreams and Designs said...

Ditched by text! Oh man, that is bad!!!

Anonymous said...

OK. I feel bad... I double promise to never ever again get involved in either your cyber-dating or your real life dating. GB :)

laurwilk said...

Did you smoke pot afterwards? That's what Carrie would have done.

I'm still bitter that I'm Charlotte. Eff that. I'm NOTHING like Charlotte.