Friday, May 23, 2008

If I didn't do this...

So today I was thinking—what would I do if I didn’t do what I do? If there were no limits, money was not a concern nor a consideration, and I could follow the actual path that my heart and my head compromisingly agreed upon—rather than the one I have convinced them both to go along with…

What would I do?

I would write and I would travel. I would stock up on notebooks, and I would fly all over with nothing but a backpack. I would spend my down time in airports or train stations waiting for my next opportunity to walk down the jetway and board the way to my next destination. I would probably go to Africa and spend several weeks there, and then maybe I would head to India, and back to Italy, followed by a trip to Australia after which I would go back and spend more time in Thailand, followed with more time in Greece. I would write a book, and I would eat my way through each and every one of these countries. I would meet the locals, I would dance in the streets, and I would spend my time in big sunglasses while drinking coffee from little cafes. I would have no cell phone and I would check my email only a couple times a week—just to let people know I was alive!

I would open a winery in California.

I would go back to Thailand and spend a year working in the AIDS orphanage I visited for only a few hours. I would see if the baby I met three years ago had made it through, or if she, too, was taken.

I would let myself fall in love. (Preferably with a Scottish man with a fantastic accent--I'm willing to relocate.)

I would go to graduate school. If I was doing what I wanted to do I wouldn’t have to pick a focus which would make it that much easier to get there. I would probably combine a degree in Women’s Studies, Literature, International Relations and History. And in my ideal world, it would work. I wouldn’t have to choose. And I wouldn’t have to take the GRE to get accepted, either! J

I would adopt a baby. (Maybe, first, I would start with a dog.)

I would train to run a marathon. I would make that my full time job. And someone else would cook for me, and all the crap food I would have to eat to stay healthy and in shape would taste amazing. And beer would also be on the nutrition plan.

If I didn't do this, I would do a lot of things...

7 comments:

Kara said...

You are a dog hater if i remember right!!!

Dreams and Designs said...

Instead of writing my own list, I'll just use yours. It sounds pretty cool. :)

Anonymous said...

"The world is so full of a number of things,
I'm sure we should all be as happy as kings." R.L. Stevenson

This quote popped into my head when I read your blog!! It is cool to imagine the possibilities! GB

Anonymous said...

I like this idea. I might steal it ;)

Pretty Unfamous said...

I would travel, too. But I don't know if I would write. Just lots of travel. And let myself fall in love in all different countries.

E said...

You are young unmarried with no kids. I may have said this before. But what exactly is stopping you? You save a little money, you beg people for more for your trip, birthdays Christmas, (Grandma and Aunti Mildred) you quit your job, ask your parents to keep your stuff in their attic, and off you go. Get your passport, wait tables in Italy, nanny in Spain. You can do this and you should.
And we wanna hear all about it when you do.
I am not kidding....

laurwilk said...

I agree with 'e'. You really CAN do it. There's no better time than now. More growth will come from 'your list' than from a 9-5 office job in Indianola (nothing wrong with Indianola, I most def longed for Iowa from Cambodia at times). Responsibility must come at some point in life, but not until necessary. In other words -- don't get a dog OR adopt a baby quite yet.

You've got a place to stay in New York. And a best friend who can hook you up with some baller volunteer jobs in Cambodia (way better than Thailand). All you have to do is buy a plane ticket(and stop signing damn leases!).

Do it! LEAP!